Thursday, July 24, 2014

Street Sweeping

At just before 5am I awoke to the sound of the street sweeper. You should know that I get very excited when I hear him on our street, I have been know to run outside and move a car off the street and into the driveway while still in my pajamas! Today I jokingly told my mom that I am so delighted when I hear him I want to go outside and offer him breakfast. Our house is on a very low point of the street. When it rains, it is as if all the street's collections end up in our gutter in front of our house. After a few days the water becomes a festering putrid puddle. Side note, our cat drinks from this! Anyway, part of my excitement today is that this service seems to have resumed. Last year we went about 9 months without it. When I finally thought to call the city the gentleman I spoke to told me the driver had been pulled off of our route to do another! What?! It took about 6 weeks before he made an appearance. This morning was his 2nd appearance since I had called. I can only hope our block is now once again part of the city wide street sweeping plan?! As I lay there listening to his approach, I mentally checked off, "both cars in the driveway" Check. "Should I go outside an applaud?" Not this time. Perhaps when he visits our neighborhood with a little more regularity. I used to pass the street sweepers in the early mornings waving as the dogs and I ran by wondering, do they know how much they are appeciated? I can hear them back at the office "Did the crazy lady with the dogs wave at you today?" "Yeah, I wonder when she is going to make us breakfast?"

Last thought. Today's new thing was posting a picture taken earlier. I was not quite sure how to do it. As yesterday's picture of Em I took while in the blog app. Today's pic was taken earlier while on a bike ride.
It turned out to be much easier than I thought so perhaps that didn't count as something new. I tried today one other new idea that I will report. Switching up my swim routine. Sound easy? Not for me when it comes to swimming. I want to just get it over with. So I swim 8 laps of breaststroke, 8 laps of the crawl which I still find I dislike even after tweaking my stroke and then 4 laps of the breaststroke to finish. I have swam this routine for years, no kidding. Today as I started the crawl,  I had enough! I said to myself, you can do this, it is part of trying new things, so I switched to sidestroke instead of the crawl. I was pleased although it did take a bit longer. Now I wonder when I will attempt doing a full 8 laps of the backstroke? 

I hope yours was a good day and you challenged yourself in someway if you, like me found that was needed!

1 comment: